Although some rudimentary plumbing was added in 1897, sanitation and washing facilities for the many bedrooms in this category A listed historic mansion originally relied on servants carrying water, hip baths and chamber pots up and down the back stairs. We have advised in the design of ensuite bathrooms, toilets (including a disabled toilet), fire doors and other alterations and improvements to make it more easily accessible and bring it up to modern standards of comfort and convenience.
Wedderburn Castle and estate has been owned by the Home family since at least the 14th century. Mary Queen of Scotts stayed at the tower house en route to view the English defence works at Berwick. The present house was intended as a new marital home for Patrick Home. Designed by the famous Scottish architects, the brothers Robert and James Adam, it wrapped round the original tower house and was the first of their ‘Castle’ style country houses. Construction lasted from 1771 to 1778 under the supervision of local architect James Nisbet, with Patrick Hume’s nephew George overseeing the work. In 1773 George reported to his uncle that Wedderburn was ‘…light and elegant and has an appearance of extent very much beyond the real one. The octagons have a fine effect, especially on the west front, as has the circular projection to the south.’, anticipating that ‘Within it will be convenience itself: there it may vie with the palaces of Italy.’ This was not to be, however, as the married couple never took up residence and the unfinished house passed to George. After the Foreman-Home brothers inherited it in the 1820s they demolished the original tower house which had been left standing in the courtyard, to let more light into the Adam S wing, and employed the Edinburgh architect James Gillespie Graham to complete the interiors, including the fine entrance hall and double staircase, and the porte cochere. Few other alterations were carried out and the house remains largely as the Adam brothers left it, with some significant chimneypieces including one by Piranesi (1720-78).
The mansion has found a new sustainable use as high quality weekend accommodation for house parties, weddings and other functions. Our work has helped to ensure its survival on an economically sustainable basis while preserving its unique character and significance.