Designed by the well known Scottish architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson in 1868, St Andrews episcopal church is category B listed and enjoys a prominent position overlooking the River Tweed, but is squeezed onto a very restricted town centre site. In addition to improvements in access and facilities for disabled people, the church hopes to form an office and meeting area for informal meetings and after church coffee, that could be available for use throughout the week to serve local people and visitors to nearby Kelso abbey.
Our design for the new circular cloister building adjacent to the church retains the garden as its focus, with an innovative sloping roof and glass wall to maximise lighting in the new meeting area and cafe. The new building is independently accessible via a lobby adjoining the east end of the church, enabling it to be used throughout the week without impinging on the use of the church. The building also includes a first floor church office, extending the existing vestry upwards, new kitchen, toilets and storage. The separate linked narthex extending from the west end of the church provides a new wheelchair accessible west door.